and for dinner we had split pea soup. I know, I know one should not make split pea soup in June, unless it is rainy and chilly. Well, it has been so it was the perfect dinner today!
I had a few stalks of rhubarb leftover from our visit to the farmer’s market this week. So I decided to spruce the simple dinner up with dessert. Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote – we ate all of our fresh strawberries so I used the rest of our frozen ones. I served the compote with a scoop of vanilla ice “cream”; Tempt – Hemp Milk – Vanilla for our girls, and “regular cow” for the parental units and our guests. It turned out great and was super easy.
– 1-1/2 lb of fresh rhubarb, unpeeled cut into 1″ pieces
– 2 T sugar
– 1 C (or more) fresh or frozen strawberries
– 5-6 T sugar
– 1 package of vanilla sugar
– app. 1/2 piece of fresh ginger, peeled, and cut into about 3 pieces
– 2 T corn starch
1. Place rhubarb pieces with 2 T in a bowl and cover. Let sit for about 30 min.
2. Put rhubarb, strawberries, ginger slices, additional sugar, and vanilla sugar into a pot. Add
water so fruit is barely covered. Bring to a slow simmer. When rhubarb is soft, adjust sugar.
3. Dissolve corn starch with a little cold water. Bring fruit mixture to a boil and slowly add
corn starch to the fruit. Boil for a minute and remove from heat.
Serve with vanilla ice “cream”!