What other cake says “Spring is here” like rhubarb? No other, that I can think of. Rhubarb – Rhabarber – reminds me so much of home. Rhubarb compote, rhubarb with vanilla…tangy yet sweet and so delicious!!! So I was thrilled to find rhubarb on the Portland Farmer’s Market this past week and just had to get some. I promised Ron to bake this cake – he actually asked if I would make a pie but I had to remind him that I make Kuchen and not pie 😉
Here is the recipe for Rhubarb-Meringue Kuchen
– 1 stick of Earth Balance or other vegan butter
– 325 gram sugar
– 3 eggs
– 50 gram corn starch
– 125 gram flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 pinch of salt
– 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
– 1-1/2 – 2 lbs of rhubarb
1. Clean the rhubarb by peeling it and cut it into app. 1/4″pieces
2. Separate 2 eggs carefully. Reserve the egg whites.
Make the dough
1. Add stick of Earth Balance, 125 gram of sugar, 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, cornstarch, baking powder
and flour to a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until you have a firm dough.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F
3. Spread dough into baking form, and top with rhubarb
4. Bake for about 30 minutes, or longer until dough is just slightly golden
1. In a clean mixing bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm
2. slowly add lemon juice, and sugar
5. Carefully spread meringue over the top of the cake
6. Bake for another 20 – 30 minutes, depending on your oven this could be longer or shorter until meringue turns a little brown.
It turned out great, I really like rhubarb a lot so next time, I will add a lot more rhubarb 🙂