Now truth be said, if you are not a fan of sweet potatoes this soup is not for you; yes, it will not work I think Ron can attest to that since he is not the biggest fan of sweet potatoes (which is absolutely puzzling to me). Ron ate his bowl and nicely declined seconds; Alena and I may have both had two bowls - we loved the soup; MiaRose well, she picked out the sweet potatoes and carrots. So two out of four loved this super easy plus budget friendly soup.
Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots
- pinch of salt
- 1 med sweet potato peeled and diced, (app 4 c)
- 1-3/4 C dried black eyed peas soaked, or 2 cans of black eyed peas
- 6 C water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot and when hot add onion together with carrots and a pinch of salt
- Sauté until onion turns translucent and carrots are bright orange in color.
- Add diced sweet potato and sauté for another minute or so stirring under the other vegetables.
- Add drained black eyed peas and stir under the vegetables
- Add water and bring to quick boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until beans and vegetables are soft.
- Add salt & pepper to taste