One of the treats my assistant (MiaRose) and I made yesterday were these delicious little Hazelnut Chocolate Lebkuchen Squares. They are delicious, maybe not pretty but super delicious...
Hazelnut Chocolate Lebkuchen Squares
- 1-3/4 stick Earth Balance (7/8 C) - (or your favorite vegan "butter")
- 1-2/3 C powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tb rum
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- 3 oz. shelled hazelnuts
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 Tb Lebkuchen spice mix
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- 3 Tb OJ
*** Preheat oven to 350 F - prepare a 8"x11" baking dish***
- Cream Earth Balance together with powdered sugar until well combined
- Add eggs, and rum and beat until everything comes together
- In the meantime grind the chocolate and the hazelnuts
- Add chocolate/hazelnut meal to the eggs/margarine mixtures and mix in well
- In a separate bowl combine flour with baking powder, salt, and spices. Slowly add - 1/2 C at a time - the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Pour dough into the prepared baking dish, smoothing out the top with a spatula. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool off. Place Lebkuchen on a icing (cooling) rack
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar with OJ until it turns into a smooth paste. Pour the glaze over the Lebkuchen and spread it with a baking brush. Top with sprinkles. Let glaze dry.
- Once glaze is dry cut Lebkuchen into squares and place in cookie tin.