Happy Sunday and welcome another fantastic #SundaySupper event. This week's event is sponsored by American Family Insurance and I am very excited to be one of the Brand Advocates. American Family Insurance is a champion of dreams and aims to inspire all of us to pursue our dreams. Learn more about the #ChooseDreams campaign by following this hashtag and American Family Insurance on Twitter, YouTube, Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook and Pinterest.
American Family Insurance encourages everyone to follow their dreams by eating healthy and be active. This week's #SundaySupper theme is Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle and our wonderful host is Denise of RunDMT. You may be wondering what does a Family Healthy Lifestyle mean; let me tell you what it means to me. To me it means to spend quality time outside as a family, bring healthy snacks, and eat home cooked meals together. We are what you may call an outdoorsy type of family; we love to camp, visit lakes, rivers, beaches etc most of us like to hike but every so often our youngest is the squeaky wheel. But you know we can generally find enough on the path to keep her interested. At the beginning of the summer we went for a beautiful hike in the Columbia River Gorge. Mia Rose was not so excited about hiking until we saw a deer eating her lunch…or we watch the clouds - is that the shape of a heart? - or we look for bugs, flowers, fairies, birds….You know, Ron's motto is you have to earn the day by spending time outside exercising and that is what we try to live by.
You can find great places to explore everywhere in the country; to find great outdoor spaces to explore check National Parks or find a state park in your area and go out hike. Most parks have day use facilities so it is easy to pack a picnic and spend the day. We often bring along our camping stove along with plates, water, and at least one quick item to cook after our hike. ~ Now you do not have to miss out on spending time together with you family if you live in the city. When we lived in Chicago Ron and I would take urban hikes to explore the city. If your goal is to visit the zoo, park a little further away and take a walk through the neighborhood, or get off the bus a couple of stops earlier, or go explore a city park. What are your tips to live a Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle?
Now what about dinner? What about making a home cooked meal after spending all this time outdoors? Advance preparation is the answer and one of my favorite delicious go-to dishes is Almond Cashew Chicken. The meat marinates while you are having fun outside and once you are back home all you need to do is put on the rice, and sauté the nuts, chicken, together with the vegetables. Yes, it is that easy plus is is delicious.
Almond Cashew Chicken
- 1-1/2 lb. chicken breast, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 Tbs plum sauce
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic chili paste
- 1 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 C Almonds, whole
- 1/2 C Cashew
- 1/4 C water or more as needed
- 3-4 C broccoli or other seasonal vegetables i.e. snap peas, bok choy, etc.
- Make marinade by combining garlic and ginger with plum sauce, vinegar, oil, chili paste, and soy sauce. Mix until well combined
- Place diced in a bowl and pour marinade over the chicken. Make sure that the marinade covers all of the chicken, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Heat oil in a wok or cast iron pan; add nuts and toast them for about five minutes.
- Add chicken together with marinade and sauté until the chicken is cooked all the way through
- Place broccoli or other vegetables on top of the chicken along with about 1/4 C of water or more as needed. Cover and leave on heat for about 3-5 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.