Monday – Cookin’ Mimi – Grilled Chicken Club Salad
Tuesday – The Not So Cheesy Kitchen – Risi e Bisi
Wednesday – Chocolate Moosey – Jalapeño Popper Corn Chowder
Thursday – girlichef - Herb Roasted Salmon w/ Veggies
Friday – Mess Makes Food – Broccoli and Blue Cheese Pesto Pasta
My contribution is Risi e Bisi as in rice and peas. It is a quick, delicious risotto studded with green peas and somewhat of a staple in our house. This is comfort food and it is easily adapted to a vegetarian option by using vegetable broth or vegan option by using vegetable broth and leaving out the Parmigiano Reggiano. We like to use Parmigiano Reggiano not just for the flavor but most importantly because it is a great source of calcium; everything counts :)
So let me present you with today's #WeekdaySupper recipe Risi e Bisi - and please do not be intimidated by risotto. It is really easy, and quick - just requires a little bit of stirring…take a look how it yummy it looks….
Risi e Bisi
- Splash of Olive Oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 C of Arborio Rice
- 3/4 - 1 C dry white wine
- 1 qt. Chicken broth (I use Pacific Foods brand) or Vegetable broth
- Rind of a piece of Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1-1/2 C frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 C grated Parmesiano Reggiano
- 1 - 2 Tbs Earth Balance, or other butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Warm broth in a separate pot.
- Heat Olive Oil and when hot add the onions with a pinch of salt. Sautee until soft, then add garlic, After about a minute add,
- Rice stir frequently until kernels become slightly translucent, then add wine. When the wine is just about reduced, add
- Parmigiano Reggiano rind, and 1-2 ladles of the chicken broth to cover the rice. Risotto should be at a very slow simmer. Stir frequently - when reduced add more chicken broth; repeat add the defrosted peas with your last ladle. Stir frequently -
- when most of liquid is reduced and rice has desired consitency remove from heat and add,
- 3/4 C of grated Parmesiano Regiano, and Earth Balance. Stir throughly - adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with remaining Parmigiano Reggiano and a side salad!