The sweetness of summer all combined in a delicious ear of corn. All four of us love corn. Grilled corn on the cob to me spells summer in big, capital letters...
A couple of days ago I got four ears of corn and originally wanted to grill them. Since that did not happen I decided on corn chowder. We love soup, especially thick soup even in the summer and since it has been a little cooler today - high 70s - it was perfect. Everyone - including me - liked this creation a lot :). I served it with Quick No Knead bread and - this will be a huge surprise - a salad of greens mixed with tomatoes....
Vegan Corn Chowder
Splash of Olive Oil
1 medium sweet onion diced
1-2 carrots cleaned, and thinly sliced
4 ears of corn - kernels cut off the ear; be sure to reserve kernels from one ear separately
1 small red pepper diced - 1/2 reserved
2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and finely cubed
2 - 3 C of water
3/4 C of soy milk creamer
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 green onions finely chopped for garnish
1. Heat olive oil and when hot add onion, carrots and a pinch of salt. When onions are translucent, add
2. Kernels from 3 ears of corn, 1/2 red pepper and sautee for a minute or so, add potatoes, water and
stir. Bring to a slow boil, cover and reduce heat to slow simmer.
3. Simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes and when potatoes are soft, carefully blend with an immersion
hand blender. [Be careful not to burn yourself as the soup will splash, and is quite hot]
4. Add remaining corn kernels, 1/2 red pepper, and soy creamer. Let simmer for another 10 minutes or
5. Adjust salt, and add pepper to taste.
6 Serve in soup bowls topped with green onions